Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Possible - well, yes. Probable -- well, maybe


My parents have finally returned from some far flung place in British Columbia where they have been sunning themselves on speedboats and by lakes hence my hiatus.

I apologise for their tardiness.

However on their return and my subsequent access to the internet, I came across an interesting letter penned by Pedro F. Gonzalez-Dıaz titled Life originated during accelerating expansion in the multiverse.

In it Pedro floats several ideas about whether there can be any other forms of life in the universe other than ours. In doing so he encroaches on the subject of multiverses, astrobiology, wormholes, the chances of self-replicating amino acids floating in phantom matter and the Big Bang Theory.

An interesting round table discussion will no doubt follow, especially with those who like to discount evolution and that sticky question that many creationists like to think debunks science -- "Where did the universe come from".

ADDENDUM

Check out Starts with A Bang's Ethan Siegel's explanation of the Big Bang Theory. If that doesn't seal the deal, I don't know what will.

No comments:

Post a Comment